Saturday, March 20, 2010

Perhaps seeding is overrated?

Welcome all, again, to the 2010 OTP. Thanks for joining us for the best three weeks of the year. I apologize for the delay in launching this year's OTP Update, I encountered some technical errors (read: I forgot my blogger password). I currently write to you from the comforts of Damon's in Manalapan, NJ, accompanied by my customary March Madness buds, Paul and Jim. This year we were going to put our annual gathering on hiatus courtesy of the bushel of infants I had acquired over the past year. Fortunately, my stalwart compatriots chose to trek all the way across Middle America, chance the dangers of Jersey, and deal with a house of screaming kids, to make this annual hoops tradition a reality. Prost Freunde!

As for this year's NCAA Tourney, what fun, eh? The amount of "upsets" that the chatterboxes on the various networks continue to bloviate about, really just reflects the poor seeding job the Tournament Committee did. Gonzaga and BYU both spent nearly the entire season in the top 15 and yet were given 8 and 7 seeds respectively. Overseeded? Gee, how about Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Villanova? Oh well... great to see the overseeded get their due. On a personal note, my Boilers shocked the world by prevailing over Siena, the national, presidential, and media pick to win. My favorite part of the game, Chris Kramer bounces the ball off the face of the Siena guy, and then ... smiles at him. Loved it. The Boilers face a high task against A&M but we shall keep the faith.

The OTP is chugging along nicely too. We've got 48 total participants this year, up from 46 last year. That means this year's winner will receive all but $5 of the pot. And in the early going there's quite the battle for first. Jen Boulton started us off on Thursday with an OTP record 7 of 8 first round picks correct. Alas, her hot streak did not last into Friday's round of action. Nonetheless, "Chicks with Picks" continues to be our tournament motto (I would apologize for being un-PC but I'm pretty sure our top four female competitors don't mind.). Curtis Tronick currently holds down spot #4 but the remainder of the top 5 are of the fairer (and smarter) sex. Congrats to Trudy, Edie, and the Buono sisters (Danielle and Christina).

Enjoy the remaining second round action today and tomorrow. I'll be back Monday with the annual OTP 1st and 2nd Round awards.

best,
-gr

1 comment:

  1. Effing KU! I hope the eventual winner enjoys my donation.

    I blame George.

    --CT Wood

    ReplyDelete